Thursday 24 May 2012

A night out for charity...

Unusually we decided to go out on Saturday night, lots of husband brownie points since he is a Chelsea fan and missed probably one of the most exciting matches ever.
My friend has set up a new charity called the Well of Joy, raising money for a number of causes, the first was for 'Saving Face'. It supports anyone who has suffered facial disfigurement, for whatever reason, from birth, illness, accidents and so on, and helps them to rebuild their lives. 
The charity was founded by a group of Aesthetic doctors, and such a cause definitely seems to bring balance to the world.
The theme was 80s Italian disco, which is actually a great theme, the music is fun, the food delicious and a little retro and the men get to wear open neck shirts and sharp suits, while the ladies wore a variety of brightly coloured frocks and lots of glitter, anything goes as it is bright and fun.
We had been out all day and had 10 minutes to change, I shaved my legs whilst sitting on the loo and brushing my hair, I considered fake tan for a moment but it was one multitask too far, hence my grey blue legs (luckily venue was dark).
You know when you are getting old when you can do 'vintage' from your own wardrobe, this is one of my Club 55 lunch dresses (worn with flip flops, slicked back hair and a conker tan, still in denial about UV damage).  It is original 1980s Italian, La Perla, bought in about 1985  and still going strong.
Accessorised with gold crocodile bag (made by a friend in Southern Spain where they make Hermes and Ralph Lauren) and Dune diamonte shoes (I still covet a pair from Gina but comfort-wise these aren't bad for the high street).


 The goodie bag was fantastic, as to be expected lots of skincare bits and pieces and a free cellulite treatment...

6 comments:

  1. You really are a total babe! What a great shade of yellow your dress is, my 1985 clothes were size 14 to 16, oy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought 3 of these, all la perla and all reduced from over £300 to 20 quid, I was a sizeable 16+ and just added them to my 'one day' pile. Unfortunately, it's only been in the last ten years that I can (occasionally) wear them, they sit in my 'holiday wardrobe' most of the time. But fancy dress means that the mutton-o-metre is a little kinder (I hope)...

      Delete
  2. Amazed that your husband would miss the game. I can never get mine away from the TV for any match, let alone the team he supports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did spend most of the evening on his blackberry, but I guess that is only fair enough!

      Delete
  3. What a great charity to choose, one I also support. Hope you enjoyed the evening and lots of money was raised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great fun and lots of money was raised, the chairman of the charity came and did a little talk, he was very impressive motivated a lot of credit card use!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment thank you so much, it means a lot.